Friday 6 January 2023

Languages I Have Learned—Episode 1: Japanese

 


Being immigrants from Japan, my parents spoke Japanese at home; because we lived in an English-speaking country, my mother was worried about communicating with her children in Canada, so she had us attend a Japanese language school provided by the local Japanese community once a week.

The assignments from the language school were hard. We learned hiragana (the Japanese letters), katakana (Japanese letters used for words foreign to Japanese), and kanji (Chinese characters used in Japanese). We learned reading, writing, poetry (both traditional haiku, tanka and other forms), folklore, and essay writing. Because the community school used a curriculum according to the ones used in Japan, during Christmas and summer vacation we had homework (I could still remember how my Canadian friends from school looked at me weird when I mentioned I had to do homework during summer vacation).

The work was hard growing up, being different and learning something that others did not; but looking back, I recall I did not hate it as much as I thought I would. Yes, there was homework; double the amount if you count the ones I brought home from my local Canadian school. Yes, at the school they strictly enforced us not to speak English, even if we did, we got scolded for doing so, which was the extent of the punishment.

Despite of all the challenges and hard work involved, I would not trade it for anything else. It was a legacy that I polished for my family, knowing that one day I would use that language skill when I go to Japan or help others with Japanese. And those days came when I travelled to Japan to visit relatives, translated for Japanese visitors who visited Canada, and enjoyed Japanese novels, movies, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Confessions of a Late Bloomer—Episode 2: About Reading Books (and Two Languages)

  As I have mentioned previously, I am a daughter of Japanese immigrants. This means that I speak Japanese at home and English outside of ho...