Friday 10 February 2023

Languages I Have Learned—Episode 5: Mongolian (Part I)

 


When I learned about a teaching opportunity in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, I took it thinking, “Mongolia shares a border with China, and since I learned Mandarin Chinese for a few years Mongolian should not be that hard.” Obviously I did not learn how different the two languages are until I arrived in the country.

I have never heard Mongolia spoken where I live (Alberta, Canada) other than a song that a friend from my Mandarin class introduced me to (when I think about it, the song was actually a song another Chinese dialect, not Mongolian). So when I first heard Mongolian spoken, to me it sounded like a combination of Russian and something else. Compared to the Russian I have heard on language tapes, Mongolia did not have the harsh tones and rolling r’s. Instead, it was much closer to an Asian language like Korean or Japanese than Chinese.

A Canadian missionary who hosted me in the country told me that Koreans and Japanese people could probably pick up Mongolian faster than North American speakers. The missionary and his wife learned the language by trying to find something common with the language they knew (English and biblical Greek). He told me he learned by matching some Cyrillic letters (used in Greek and Russian) and identified the sounds and worked from there.

When I arrived in Ulaanbaatar, it was 14 years after the fall of the Iron Curtain, Cyrillic letters were used in the Mongolian language—something carried over from the Soviet occupation (Mongolia was a buffer zone for the Soviets, which explained a lot of Soviet influences from buildings to some political values, and of course, writing).

The missionaries kindly introduced me to their Mongolian language teacher, a teacher at a local school, who taught me Mongolian. To my delight, I found it was easier for me (with a language background in Japanese).

Mongolian had a similar grammar system to Japanese (and, I was told, to Korean) so I just needed to remember where to plug in the correct Mongolian words to make a sentence. The part about learning Mongolian that was difficult were certain sounds: the rolling “r” (as we Canadians would say, “Rrrroll up the rrrrim to win”) and the exhaling “l” (you exhale as your tongue touches the roof of your mouth making a “hla” sound rather than a “la” sound). Imagine how much trouble I had just to say “thank you” in Mongolian (which is “bayal-hlah,” by the way). I think it took me a month or more just to get the sound right.

Despite the language mishaps (mispronouncing the rolling r’s and exhaling l’s), the minus 40 degrees (celsius) weather plus windchill (I lived in Mongolia during the winter months), and other things (did you know that tap water had hepatis A and B, so you need special filters or drink bottles beverages like pop or juice?); life in Mongolia was full of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Confessions of a Late Bloomer—Episode 2: About Reading Books (and Two Languages)

  As I have mentioned previously, I am a daughter of Japanese immigrants. This means that I speak Japanese at home and English outside of ho...